Tuesday, January 16, 2007

busy busy:)

Hey Hey!

Sorry it’s been so long since my last blog! The weekends are pretty much internet-less, so I have to wait till the weekdays. Let me try and update you on whats been going on!

Well classes wise I think I’ve pretty much gotten things figured out. I am in a conversation class, a Spanish literature class, Latin American Themes class, and Spanish grammar class, and the mountaineering class. Tomorrow I am going to try and join the Salsa dancing class which sounds like so much fun!! Also, since I don’t have much class on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have been trying to work out some volunteering opportunities. I am going to try and work at a local high school with teaching English, I’ll let you know what ends up working out!

This past weekend was quite the adventure! We went to La Mitad del mundo, the Equator! There was a real line and everything, granted it didn’t go that far, only about 10 feet! It was really fun, there was a museum which talked about the indigenous tribes that used to live there. They also showed us some cool things that happen when you are at the Equator, like water falling straight down a drain, it actually worked!! I always thought that was a myth! I’m glad we went, it just wouldn’t make sense to go to Ecuador without visiting the Equator! It took us about and hour to get there, but well worth the trek! We also took a trip to the top of a crater; we all jumped in the back of a pickup truck and rode to the top. The ride up was half the fun! Unfortunately it was totally foggy when we reached the top so we couldn’t see anything, but it was still a good time had by all! After seeing the Equator, we bought groceries and made dinner at my friend Adams house. So funny because we ended up making hot dogs, pretty American! It was nice to just sit and talk about our experiences so far.

This past weekend I was also able to check out some of the night life. There is so much to do here I can’t wait until this weekend to discover more things!! Actually, this weekend we are going to an indigenous village called la provincia de Tungurahua, en el sur de Quito. One of the professors that teaches at my school grew up there. He is going to show us around. I can’t even imagine what that will be like, I can’t wait! That’s all for now! I’m going to go home to eat with my family but I should be able to give another update in a few days! Thanks for always letting me know whats going on back home! I heard there is snow and the bears are winning!! All good news!!

lots of love!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessie, Did you get initiated when you steppped over the equater.Patti and I had a King Neptuan party when we crossed and iit was lots of fun. Sounds like you are having lots of fun also. Take it all in while you are there.
Love you, Granpa Pauley

Anonymous said...

Hey you!
It was good to see you this am! Wow, the equator! I can't even imagine! You are seeing soo many things! I'm so happy for you, like your Grandpa said, take it all in! Wow! My first class is done and over with! Yeah, one more left for the day! Hey the address you posted, is that correct???? Just need to know....
I miss you, enjoy the weather there because I'm freezing here!
Lots of love!

Goldfish said...

Yeah! An update!! So glad (and envious) that you got to go to the equator! Keep taking pictures! That volunteer work sounds like fun. To the CP extreme!!

Goldfish said...

By the way, we had puppies--NINE of them!!! I have several pictures on my blog. Check it out!

CP

Kevin R said...

wow, you've done more in a few weeks than I've done my whole life. Either I'm boring, or you're having too much fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey you!
So I probably abuse my privelege of calling you. My dad isn't going to be happy when he sees the phone bill. I just miss you and get these urges to talk to you, so I call you. I dropped my art class. It was freakin' boring! OMG! I went to one lecture and I caught myself gazing around the room and thinking about things other than art. So I will now be taking 2 night classes, but ohh well, it's better than art. I picked up another bilingual ed class! So, although I sounded sad in the message life is good right now. I got this super cute shirt from H&M and I really want to wear it, so I need an excuse. Got my Visa bill and I was not here when the statement came so I now owe them 50 cents. It's ok, I can handle it! haha. My dad sent your package today, so you shall get it soon. I hope you read this! It's real cold here, and I hate it. I have a quiz in Spanish tommorrow and I am soo rusty and I wish you could take it for me! You would do soo well because you are fluent. I want to snack on chips, but I'm not hungry. Just so you know. What else... I had burger king (as you can tell I am making healthy eating decisions lol) and it was good times. I think that is all, I love you and I am sorry this is the most boring thing you have ever read. I love you best friend!

Anonymous said...

So, it snowed again! I was surprised when I woke up. I saw all 3 of the back to the future movies last night! I really liked them. Hey, is there a movie playing in Quito called Pan's Labrynth? I heard good things and I knew it was a foriegn film, just curious because now I want to see it but the closest place is Peoria. I miss you and I hope you are learning a lot at on your trip to an indigenous tribe. That's where you went right? I wish I could see it all with you!