Wednesday, February 21, 2007


Man I am a total slacker on these posts! But here is what happened not this past weekend but the one before:) I was actually really fun because we explored two new cities! Mindo and Puerto Quito. In Mindo we explored parts of the rain forest which was gorgeous! We went to this butterfly farm, which actually wasn´t my favorite because I am not the biggest fan of butterflies, I know I´m crazy! But they were beautiful and I have to admit awfully cute! Right after that we went rafting down this river. So fun, from far away it looked pretty calm, I thought it would be a sort of lazy river ride from a water theme park, but man was I wrong! I should have known when they gave us helmets to wear that it wasn´t quite like I expected:) We got bumped around quite a bit but it was so much fun and well worth it! After this we went to our hotel for the night. I can´t even describe how beautiful this place was! It is hidden in the rain forest and full of exotic flowers, hammocks, tropical fruit and juices, and it also had a pool! I felt like I was in a dream! Absolutely gorgeous. I shared a room with Lindsay and a cabin with 4 girls total. There was a mosquito net around our bed which always makes me nervous, be the bugs really weren’t that bad. When we arrived we got briefed on where we were and how our stay helped maintain that area of rain forest, how cool! Later we went down to the river to try and swim but it was really high and rough since they had been getting a lot of rain so we opted to go swimming in the pool! Lots of marco polo was played:) All the meals were delicious and at night we were taught salsa dancing. We all danced the night away!
The following day we went to Puerto Quito where we hiked through a bit of forest and came to this breathtaking waterfall. The best part about the hick was being able to jump off the top of the waterfall before we headed back! It was so scary but I´m so glad I decided to do it! I mean when else was I going to have an amazing opportunity like that, I had to take advantage! After playing by the falls we walked back and explored a small farm of a local family. It seemed like they had everything they could possible need there from rubber trees to healing plants. The only bad part about that was getting eaten by lots of bugs! We survived though no worries!
That is my weekend in a nutshell! I can´t get over how blessed I am to be here and experiencing all these new things! I love you all and hope all is well!!
Jess

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Jesse, I have been watching for your update and wow, it sounds like you are having the time of your life. Your mom and aunts will be here at the ranch just one week from today. We will go to South Padra Island and the condo for a few days and then back to the ranch. I'm sure looking forward to seeing them all. I am so happy for your adventure. Keep safe.
Much Love from Granpa Pauley
"Psalm 91"

Goldfish said...

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! That is amazing!!! And by the way Jess, you mentioned you are crazy, but the name of your blog is "Quito Me Crazy," so I think we kind of have to expect it! :) Jumping off a waterfall, now THAT is crazy! I don't know if I could have done it, but I'm glad you are taking in all these adventures!! I blogged about my exciting weekend, but it was nothing compared to yours, of course we don't have waterfalls in North Dakota, so I suppose you do have an advantage! Oh, Paul's Basketball game (regional tournament?) is being played up here at the Civic Center!

Sorry that I haven't been writing to you faithfully..no excuse. I mean, if you can find time to communicate with us, I can find time to write you, right? :)

To the CP extreme!

Anonymous said...

Hey hey hey!
Wow! You have had such a fun weekend! I can't even believe it! I'm sooo happy for you and that you are having a good time! I hope you are feeling better! I want to see the pics! I love you best friend!